Citizenship and Immigration Minister Chris Alexander today announced an immigration plan that will drive economic growth in 2014 and position Canada for success in the years ahead.
Securing economic growth is and will remain our Government’s top priority,” said Alexander. “
Canada is in a global competition for the best and brightest immigrants, and this plan is crafted with attracting the people we need for Canada to succeed.”
After tabling the Annual Report to Parliament on Immigration, Alexander said Canada plans to welcome 240,000 to 265,000 new permanent residents in 2014, with record admissions forecast in both the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) and the Provincial Nominee Program.
While Canadians will continue to get the first crack at available jobs, getting the right people in the right places is key to addressing regional labour needs and fueling Canada’s long-term prosperity,” said Alexander. “
We need newcomers willing to put their skills, ideas and energies to work.”
Economic immigration is slated to increase to 63 per cent in 2014. The remaining 37 per cent will consist of family class immigrants, refugees and others admitted under humanitarian programs.
Text version: Economic immigration image
We will continue to drive down backlogs, reduce wait times and improve service. We will continue to reunite families. We will continue to give refuge to the world’s most vulnerable,” said Alexander.
Canada is moving from passive economic immigration to active recruiting under a new intake system tentatively titled the Expression of Interest System (EOI). Our plan for 2014 takes that change into account and works toward a successful launch on January 1, 2015